Western Youth Centre had its beginning in 1956 when a group of local citizens became concerned at the lack of sporting, cultural and recreational facilities for youth in the West Torrens area.
After gaining some financial assistance from the West Torrens Council to repair the roof and floor of the abandoned ether works, Western Youth Centre was ready for use in June 1958.
The first activity was a learner’s dance class and the first club to be formed was the Boys Gymnasium Club. By July 1959 the amenities block had been completed, a reticulation system had been installed to water the oval, the base had been laid for tennis courts, work on a 100 yard running track had been started and the Girls Physical Cultural class had commenced.
The Tennis Club, Basketball Club and Table Tennis Club started in 1960 and in 1961 the Cricket and Football Clubs were formed.
Extensions were made in 1962 and 1966. Further extensions were added in 1973 and 1979.
Today Western Youth Centre has programs for all ages spanning from one year old to the older youth and beyond.
To be an organisation of high profile and reputation that provides a range of sporting and recreational activities for the youth and people of our community.
To promote the activities of the Centre for people from all walks of society in the development of their physical, intellectual and social being.